i have 5 tips for you from Dr. Myron Wentz in his book The Healthy Home:
1. Take your shoes off before entering your home. We walk around unwittingly in car oil, pesticides, animals waste and toxins.
2. Non-stick pots and pans release potential hazardous fumes and particles into the air such as toxic gases, carcinogens and global pollutants. Try using a well seasoned cast iron skillet instead. (highly recommend!)
3. "Wrinkle free" sheets can expose you to the chemical PFC (perflourochemicals) and is linked to reproductive and development toxicity, as well as cancers to the bladder and liver. Try using natural alternatives like cotton or linen.
4. Fluorescent light bulbs will make you feel drained. They contain a toxic gas known as mercury vapor. Instead try purchasing regular incandescent light bulbs.
5. Electrical appliances create EMF's (electromagnetic fields - also my initials coincidentally) which are similar to those found under power lines that were linked to cancer clusters. Make sure you unplug your appliances when not being used. (something i always do)
Many of these 'practices' i do on a normal basis in my home - i have found when 1 person starts something a chain of events will follow - you will be surprised to see how making 1 small step in your own home can make such an impact on the environment and the homes of people you know. Spread the love and bliss!
DO YOU PRACTICE EARTH SAVING TECHNIQUES AT HOME OR IN YOUR LIFE IN GENERAL?